Customer insights are the interpretations and patterns of all the data you collect on your customers across all your touch points. They help you understand who your customers are, what they need and want, and how they behave and interact with your brand. Customer insights are essential for creating effective marketing campaigns that deliver the right message, product, and offer to the right customer at the right time.
But how do you gather customer insights from digital campaigns? And how do you use them to improve your marketing strategy and performance? In this blog, we will answer these questions and share tips and tools to help you get started.
What are Digital Campaigns and Why Do They Matter?
Digital campaigns are online marketing initiatives that aim to achieve a specific goal, such as increasing brand awareness, generating leads, driving sales, or retaining customers. They use various channels and platforms, such as social media, email, search engines, websites, blogs, podcasts, videos, webinars, and more.
Digital campaigns matter because they allow you to reach and engage your target audience cost-effectively and measurably. You can track and analyze various digital marketing metrics and indicators of your digital campaign performance, such as impressions, clicks, conversions, bounce rate, open rate, click-through rate, cost per acquisition, return on ad spend, and more. These campaign performance metrics and indicators provide valuable data that can help you gain customer insights from digital campaigns. You can use these insights to optimize your current and future campaigns, as well as your overall marketing strategy.
How to Gather Customer Insights from Digital Campaigns
There are many ways to collect insights and ensure customer journey tracking from digital campaigns. Here are some of the most common and effective digital campaign analytics :
Soliciting customer feedback can be one of the most powerful ways to gather customer insights because you’ll get your information straight from the horse’s mouth rather than having to extrapolate from data. You can use various tools and techniques to collect customer feedback, such as surveys, polls, reviews, ratings, testimonials, comments, social media mentions, online forums, chatbots, live chat, email, phone calls, and more.
Website analytics can help you understand how customers interact with your website and landing pages. You can use tools like Google Analytics or Bing Webmaster Tools to track and measure your website performance, such as traffic sources, keywords, pages visited, time spent on site, bounce rate, conversion rate, goals completed, and more.
Social media analytics:
Social media analytics can help you understand how your customers engage with your brand on social media platforms. You can use tools like Facebook Insights or Twitter Analytics to monitor and measure your social media performance, such as reach, impressions, engagement rate, likes, shares, comments, mentions, hashtags, followers, and more.
Email marketing analytics:
Email marketing analytics can help you understand how customers respond to your email campaigns. You can use tools like Mailchimp or Constant Contact to track and measure your email marketing performance, such as open rate, click-through rate, bounce rate, unsubscribe rate, spam complaints, and more.
Search engine marketing analytics:
Search engine marketing analytics can help you understand how your customers find your brand on search engines. You can use tools like Google Ads or Bing Ads to track and measure your search engine marketing performance, such as impressions, clicks, cost per click, quality score, conversion rate, cost per acquisition, return on ad spend, and more.
Content marketing analytics:
Content marketing analytics can help you understand how customers consume and react to your content. You can use tools like Google Search Console or BuzzSumo to track and measure your content marketing performance, such as rankings, traffic, backlinks, shares, comments, and more.
How to Use Customer Insights from Digital Campaigns to Boost Your Marketing Strategy
Once you have gathered customer behavior analysis from digital campaigns using the methods above (or others), you can use them to improve your marketing strategy and performance in various ways. Here are some examples:
- Segmentation: You can use customer insights to segment your audience into different groups based on their characteristics and behaviors, such as demographics, psychographics, interests, preferences, needs, wants, pain points, challenges, goals, motivations, and more. Segmentation allows you to tailor your marketing messages and offers to each group and increase relevance and personalization.
- Targeting: You can use customer insights to target your audience more effectively using various criteria such as location, device type, browser type, language, time of day, day of week, seasonality, and more. Targeting allows you to reach your audience when they are most likely interested and responsive to your marketing campaigns.
- Positioning: You can use customer insights to position your brand more clearly and competitively in the market. You can use customer feedback and reviews to identify your unique selling proposition (USP) and highlight it in your marketing campaigns. You can also use customer insights to understand your competitors’ strengths and weaknesses and differentiate yourself.
- Testing: You can use customer insights to test and optimize various elements of your marketing campaigns, such as headlines, images, copy, colors, buttons, layouts, formats, channels, platforms, and more. You can use tools like Google Optimize or Optimizely to run A/B or multivariate tests and compare the results. Testing allows you to determine what works best for your audience and improve your conversion rate and return on investment (ROI).
- Learning: You can use marketing campaign insights to learn from your successes and failures and apply the lessons to your future marketing campaigns. You can use tools like Google Analytics or Bing Webmaster Tools to analyze your campaign performance and identify what worked well and what didn’t. Learning allows you to avoid repeating mistakes and replicate best practices.
Showcasing Success: Case Studies in Action
PepsiCo is a global food and beverage company that aims to create smiles with every sip and every bite. However, the company faced a challenge in adapting to the changing consumer behavior and preferences in the digital era. PepsiCo wanted to move from mass demographic marketing to a more consumer-centric marketing approach that would allow them to tailor their products and messages to different segments of customers.
To achieve this goal, PepsiCo built specific consumer engagement platforms that enabled them to collect first-party data and consent from customers. Moreover, PepsiCo integrated Google Marketing Platform into nearly all its digital products, such as websites, apps, and social media. This gave PepsiCo access to a single global solution that provided them with rich and real-time data and analytics on their customers.
By using the Google Marketing Platform, PepsiCo was able to gain new customer insights that helped them drive innovation and growth. For example, PepsiCo used these data-driven customer insights to launch new flavors and pack sizes that customers sought, such as Crystal Pepsi1. PepsiCo also used these insights to optimize its media mix and creative strategy across different channels and platforms. As a result, PepsiCo increased its sales lift, media engagement, and customer satisfaction.
Vajra Global – Using Data to Generate Action
Gathering and using customer insights from digital campaigns can be challenging and time-consuming. You need the tools, skills, and experience to collect, analyze, and apply customer insights to your marketing campaigns. That’s why you may need help from a professional digital marketing agency that can help you with all aspects of data analytics in marketing, from strategy to execution.
That’s where Vajra Global comes in. Vajra Global is a leading digital marketing agency helping businesses grow online. We have the tools, skills, and experience to help you gather and use customer insights from digital campaigns to boost your marketing strategy and performance. We are here to help you achieve your marketing goals. Contact us today for a free consultation, and let us show you how we can help you use customer insights from digital campaigns to grow your business online.